Updated Every Friday

Friday, November 2, 2007

Plugh


1/30" at f4. ISO 1600
October 25th, 2007

You are in a twisty maze of passageways, all different. Actually this cave, the California Caverns, was pretty straightforward in the parts we went through. The atmosphere of this cave feels like something out of disneyland. Parts of it are so beautiful that you expect to round a corner and come across some wee diamond miners.

Its very hard to take pictures in a cave, you generally aren't allowed to bring in a tripod, and the low light makes shooting hand held almost impossible. If I was a professional on a job, then I'd have assistants with a lighting setup. But as a tourist, I get to make due with the bare minimum. The guides were kind enough to allow me to take a collapsible monopod (its like a tripod but with only one leg) to give a little bit more stability. Most of the pictures were still blurred, but I came out with a couple real gems.

Next spring I want to go on a 5 hours cave crawl tour through this cave. The trip includes slogging through waste deep mud and ends with a raft trip across an underground lake.

1 comment:

DeAnna said...

This is so cool! Great shot Justin!